Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A vail of human communication

I met a young woman from Kuwait last night in a video store. She was in ' western ' dress. She told me she was muslim and that she moved here to the United States with her parents. I mentioned my blogspot in passing and in general how it came to be. We talked awhile as we looked for movies to rent. And I thought what a beautiful mind; she is well spoken in verse as it reflects her education. And with a sweetness of personality and spirt.
I mentioned the 58 year old man married to the 8 year old girl, a story in another blog that I posted. I found it difficult to mention in her presence. Her response was that it was probably an isolated incident. My response was that there were probably more of the same in this country.
In reality the cultural differences in the middle east when compared to the west are vast. Or so it would seem. We have so much to learn with the new found extension we in the west have regarding childhood that is take for granted. And to be as a world within that ' hope ' and much more important, ' faith ', to have a good education in regards to cultural differences. And yet when I was talking with her, with my limited use of the english language, I couldn't help but sense the beauty of her mind.
In the mind, ideas are conveyed and when given height above the body, conscience and peace can be found.
I didn't mean to put her on the defense. I was polite, as was she.
In the beauty of almond eyes are seen distant elders and the many definitions of childhood in times long past, out of need.' Property ' and survival, just like ours.
The United States of America is all about freedom, justice and equality. Some of her citizens are beautiful beyond compare, despite differences. We are a people that encompass the world, and want peace due our shared history; that which is now due for our children. A good childhood.

It is my dream in this world
Women seen equal
Equal without mimic
Equal to men
Both childhood's dream

No comments: